From the 1770s until 2008 the high street was very wide, a typical feature of medieval market places where more than one row of buildings used to stand.
Marco Polo relates that in 1225 Alau the Great Lord of the Tartars captured the Calif and the great city of Baudac, achieving what the Crusaders had not.
The connection between the great city of Baudac and the ruins of Babylon, in the facile minds of the Templars, were obscurely compared with the great city of London and the ruins of Baldock.
In late 2008, a town centre enhancement plan included a narrowing of the road and subsequent widening of paved areas.
Since the 16th century, Baldock has been a centre for malting, subsequently becoming a regional brewing centre with at least three large brewers still operating at the end of the 19th Century, despite a decline in demand for the types of beer produced locally.
The 1881 Census records approximately 30 drinking establishments (the town's population was at that time around 1900).
Throughout the early 20th century a large number of pubs continued to operate, many of which were sustained by the adjacent and much larger town of Letchworth, which had no alcohol retailers prior to 1958, and had only two pubs and a single hotel bar until the mid-1990s.The station is part of the Thameslink Programme which will connect Cambridge to Farringdon, City Thameslink and Blackfriars via the Great Northern Route.There has been human activity on the site well before the modern town was founded.Other etymologies have been suggested, including Middle English "balled" meaning bald together with Old English "ac" meaning oak; and a conjectured Old English personal name "Bealdoc" meaning bold (with diminutive -oc suffix).and may have been identified by a large old tree near the Saxon graveyard or where the Templar church was built.We are seeking to appoint an experienced and successful teacher of Business Studies, to lead this important area of our school.